1. Fondue Rub a small pot with garlic; add 1 cup white wine and simmer. Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with a splash of cognac, then 1/4 pound each Gruyère and Emmentaler cheese; add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Serve hot with apples and bread
2. Tahini Dip Puree 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons ground cumin and 1 minced garlic clove. Drizzle in 1/2 cup hot water; puree until smooth.
3. Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1 can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 cup hot water.
4. Red Pepper Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1 can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup hot water.
5. Fried-Chickpea Hummus Make Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1/2 can chickpeas. Microwave until warm. Fry the other 1/2 can chickpeas in olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Top the hummus with the fried chickpeas, red pepper flakes and chopped parsley.
6. Edamame Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2). Puree with a 16-ounce bag of thawed shelled edamame and 1/3 cup olive oil; add enough water until smooth.
7. Charred-Tomato Salsa Broil 2 tomatoes until charred, then cool and core. Pulse in a food processor with 1 minced jalapeno, 1 scallion, 1 garlic clove and 1 tablespoon fresh mint. Season with salt.
8. Deviled Dip Puree 8 hard-boiled eggs with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 chopped pickle, a dash of hot sauce, and paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chives.
9. Pimiento-Cheese Dip Mix 1/2 pound each grated cheddar and pepper jack, 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream and 2 tablespoons diced pimientos. Season with hot sauce and onion and garlic powders.
10. Eggplant Caviar Roast 1 eggplant at 400 degrees F until tender, 45 minutes, then peel and chop. Mix with 2 tablespoons each olive oil and parsley, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 chopped garlic clove, and salt and pepper.
11. Caponata Make Eggplant Caviar (No. 10). Sauté 1/2 cup each chopped celery, red bell pepper, tomato and red onion in olive oil, then stir in 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and 2 teaspoons sugar; mix with the Eggplant Caviar. Stir in 2 teaspoons capers.
12. Olive Tapenade Pulse 1 cup black olives, 3 anchovies, 2 tablespoons each olive oil and capers, 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme and 1 garlic clove in a food processor.
13. Tomato Tapenade Make Olive Tapenade (No. 12) with 2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes instead of olives. Use white wine vinegar in place of the lemon juice and basil instead of thyme. Thin with water.
14. Clam Dip Puree 2 cans clams with 8 ounces cream cheese, a handful of parsley, 1/2 cup each cottage cheese and mayonnaise, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 tablespoons clam juice and 1/2 teaspoon celery salt. Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon, and salt and pepper.
15. Romesco Dip Puree 1/2 cup toasted almonds, 2 roasted red peppers, 2 chopped seeded tomatoes, 1 garlic clove, 1 slice toast and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Add 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil; puree.
16. Refried-Bean Dip Sauté 1/2 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons ground cumin in olive oil. Add 2 cans pinto beans and salt; mash, adding chicken broth until creamy.
17. Tzatziki Mix 1 grated peeled cucumber, 2 cups Greek yogurt, 1 small minced garlic clove and 1 tablespoon each chopped mint, dill and white wine vinegar.
18. Spicy Raita Make Tzatziki (No. 17) without dill and vinegar. Add 1 diced jalapeno, 1 diced tomato, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
19. Baked Ricotta Mix 1 cup ricotta, 1 teaspoon each chopped sage and lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Bake in an oiled ramekin at 300 degrees F, 20 minutes.
20. Herb Mayonnaise Blanch 2 cups mixed fresh herbs in boiling water, 30 seconds. Puree with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 tablespoons mango chutney and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add a splash of lime juice.
21. Salsa Verde Puree 1 cup each parsley and basil, 3 chopped scallions, 2 tablespoons capers, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 anchovies, 2 garlic cloves and 1/3 cup olive oil. Season with salt; thin with water as needed.
22. Slow-Cooker Spinach Dip Mix 1 cup grated smoked mozzarella, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 box thawed frozen spinach, 1 jar artichoke hearts, and salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, 2 hours.
23. Pepper-Rosemary Dip Saute 1 minced garlic clove in 1/4 cup olive oil. Puree 1/2 cup jarred piquillo peppers, 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary, 11 ounces goat cheese, half of the garlic oil, and salt and pepper; top with more garlic oil.
24. Peanut Dip Scoop the cream from a can of coconut milk. Mix with 1 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup peanut butter, 2 tablespoons red curry paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and lemon juice.
25. Hot Crab Dip Mix 8 ounces each crabmeat and cream cheese, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup each Parmesan and muenster, a splash of lemon juice, 1 minced garlic clove and a pinch of pepper in a baking dish. Add 1/2 cup mixed basil, parsley and chives. Bake at 375 degrees F, 30 minutes. 26. Green Chutney Puree 1 inch ginger, 3 chopped scallions, 1 cup each mint and cilantro, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 chopped jalapeno and a splash of lime juice. Add salt; thin with water. Serve with naan.
27. Green-Goddess Dip Puree 4 anchovies, 1 garlic clove and 2 tablespoons each chopped basil, chives, tarragon, parsley and dill. Mix with 1 cup each sour cream and mayonnaise. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
28. Spinach-Walnut Dip Puree 2 cups spinach and 1 garlic clove. Mix with 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, 1 teaspoon each chopped tarragon, dill and cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt.
29. Onion Dip Saute 1 each chopped yellow and red onion in olive oil over low heat until caramelized, 30 minutes; cool. Mix with 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup mayonnaise and chopped chives and scallions. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
30. Blue Cheese Dip Puree 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 pound blue cheese. Add chopped chives, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and celery salt and pepper to taste.
31. Wasabi Dip Combine 2 tablespoons wasabi powder and 2 tablespoons water, then set aside 20 minutes. Mash with 8 ounces each cream cheese and ricotta and 3 tablespoons each mirin (rice wine) and rice vinegar.
32. Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dip Cut the tops off 2 heads garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees F until tender, 45 minutes. Make Onion Dip (No. 29) using the roasted garlic pulp in place of the sautéed onions. Add 6 slices chopped crisp bacon.
33. Tomato Chutney Toast 1 teaspoon each coriander, fennel and cumin seeds in vegetable oil. Add 2 pounds chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons each tomato paste and grated ginger, and a pinch each of curry powder, cayenne, sugar and salt. Saute until thick. Serve with flatbread.
34. Horseradish Dip Mix 1 pound grated cheddar, 1 grated apple and 1/4 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and beer. Add 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Season with onion and garlic powders.
35. Bagna Cauda Melt 1 stick butter with 1/2 cup olive oil. Add 5 chopped garlic cloves and 8 chopped anchovies; mash. Serve warm with crudites.
36. Aioli Whisk 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves with 2 egg yolks. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups olive oil. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste; thin with water as needed. Serve with crudites.
50 Super Bowl Snacks
1. Chunky Guacamole Finely chop 1 small white onion and 1 serrano chile. Mix with 1 cup torn cilantro, 3 diced avocados, the juice of 2 limes and salt to taste.
2. Chipotle Guacamole Mash 3 avocados with 1/4 cup minced red onion, 1 tablespoon minced chipotles in adobo sauce, the juice of 1 lime and salt to taste.
3. Tropical Guacamole Make Chipotle Guacamole (No. 2), replacing the chipotles with minced jalapenos. Add 1/4 cup each chopped mango and pineapple and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
4. Lima Bean Guacamole Cook 10 ounces frozen lima beans in salted water until tender; drain and rinse. Pulse in a food processor with 1 avocado, 1/2 chopped small white onion, the juice of 2 limes, 1 serrano chile, 1/2 cup torn cilantro, and salt to taste. Fold in 1 chopped tomato.
5. Garlic-Herb Dip Halve 3 heads garlic crosswise. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees F, 40 minutes. Squeeze out the pulp; mix with 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon each lemon zest and juice, and chopped sage and parsley to taste. Season with salt.
6. Hot Crab Dip Mix 3 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and hot sauce and chopped parsley to taste; fold in 1/2 pound crabmeat. Spread in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs (preferably panko) and bake at 425 degrees F until golden, about 15 minutes.
7. Blue Cheese Dip Mix 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese, 1/2 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream, 1/4 cup buttermilk and some minced
8. Thai Crab Dip Make Hot Crab Dip (No. 6), replacing the lemon juice with lime juice and the parsley with cilantro. Use sriracha for the hot sauce.
9. Buffalo Dip Make Blue Cheese Dip (No. 7), adding 2 tablespoons hot sauce and 1/2 cup finely chopped celery, and replacing the chives with minced celery leaves.
10. Mustard-Beer Dip Simmer 12 ounces pale ale until reduced by half. Stir in 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each mustard powder and cider vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce; cool. 02_spread_00067.tif Charles Masters 11. Bacon-Jalapeno Dip Mix 8 ounces cream cheese, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 4 slices chopped cooked bacon, 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar and 2 thinly sliced jalapenos. Spread in a baking dish; top with buttered breadcrumbs (preferably panko). Bake at 350 degrees F until golden and bubbly, 30 minutes.
img alt="" src="http://localhost/swankcook/img/blog/5843121981542413927.jpeg" style="height:462px; width:616px" />
11. 11. Bacon-Jalapeno Dip Mix 8 ounces cream cheese, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 4 slices chopped cooked bacon, 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar and 2 thinly sliced jalapenos. Spread in a baking dish; top with buttered breadcrumbs (preferably panko). Bake at 350 degrees F until golden and bubbly, 30 minutes.
12. Queso Dip Cook 1 tablespoon each butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 pound shredded cheddar and 1/4 cup each cream cheese, milk and jarred salsa until smooth.
13. Meaty Queso Dip Make Queso Dip (No. 12); stir in 1/4 pound cooked ground beef.
14. Veggie Dip Combine 1/4 cup each finely chopped red and yellow bell pepper, celery, zucchini and scallions. Mix 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 3 tablespoons milk. Stir into the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
15. Smoked Salmon Dip Make Veggie Dip (No. 14); add 4 ounces chopped smoked salmon and 2 tablespoons each capers and finely
16. Onion Dip Cook 2 thinly sliced onions in vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until golden, 35 minutes. Cool, chop and mix with 1 cup sour cream, 4 chopped scallions and salt to taste.
17. Bacon-Onion Dip Make Onion Dip (No. 16). Stir in 6 slices crumbled cooked bacon.
18. Tomatillo Salsa Broil 1 pound husked tomatillos, 1/2 white onion and 1/2 jalapeno until charred and soft; cool. Puree with 1/2 cup cilantro and 1 avocado. Season with salt.
19. Cauliflower Hummus Toss 4 cups cauliflower florets with olive oil and 1 teaspoon curry powder; roast at 425 degrees F, 20 minutes. Puree with 1 drained can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons tahini, 1 garlic clove, and salt to taste. Blend in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
20. Lime Chip Mix Toss 8 cups mixed potato chips, corn chips and cheese puffs with the juice of 1 lime, the zest of 6 limes, and 1 teaspoon each paprika, garlic powder and cayenne. Bake at 350 degrees F, 5 minutes.
21. Latin Chip Mix Combine 3 tablespoons melted butter with 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and chipotle chile powder. Toss with 3 cups black bean chips, 1 cup corn nuts, 1 thinly sliced jalapeno and 2 teaspoons lime zest. Bake at 400 degrees F, 10 minutes, stirring once.
22. Chesapeake Snack Mix Toss 5 cups potato chips, 2 cups each oyster crackers, fish-shaped cheese crackers and pretzel sticks, 1/2 stick melted butter and 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning. Bake at 350 degrees F, 25 minutes, stirring once.
23. Buttery Herbed Nuts Mix 3 tablespoons melted butter with 1 tablespoon each minced parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and 2 teaspoons salt. Toss with 3 cups unsalted mixed nuts. Bake at 325 degrees F, 25 minutes, stirring once.
24. Pizza Snack Mix Bake 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni at 350 degrees F, 15 minutes; drain on paper towels. Toss 2 cups each pita chips and cheese crackers, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons each minced parsley, oregano and basil. Bake 10 minutes. Stir in the pepperoni.
25. Asian Snack Mix Combine 1 cup each sesame sticks, wasabi peas, crisp rice cereal and peanuts. Toss with 1/2 stick melted butter, 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each red pepper flakes and salt. Bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes, stirring once. Toss with 5 cups vegetable chips.
26. Curry Snack Mix Toss 4 cups crisp rice cereal, 2 cups puffed rice, 1 1/2 cups cashews, 1 cup coconut flakes, 1/2 stick melted butter, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 large pinch cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes. Toss with 1 cup chopped dried mango.
27. Beer-Bacon Nuts Boil 1/3 cup beer, 1 cup brown sugar, 6 slices chopped bacon, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 pinch cayenne until the beer evaporates, 8 minutes. Mix in 1 1/2 cups corn nuts and 1 cup each almonds and peanuts. Bake at 350 degrees F, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
28. Kettle Corn Put 3/4 cup popcorn kernels and 3 tablespoons each sugar and vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Partially cover and cook over high heat, shaking, until the popping stops. Season with salt.
29. Cinnamon Kettle Corn Make Kettle Corn (No. 28), adding 1 teaspoon cinnamon with the sugar.
30. Spicy Chickpea Mix Drain and rinse 1 can chickpeas; toss in olive oil and bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes. Mix with 1 tablespoon chile paste, 2 cups pita chips, 1 cup sesame sticks and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake 10 minutes, stirring.
31. Salty-Sweet Snack Mix Boil 1/2 cup dark corn syrup, 1 stick butter, 1 cup dark brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon each salt and vanilla, 1 minute. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; toss with 3 cups each Chex cereal and oyster crackers, 2 cups mini pretzels and 1 cup nuts. Bake on 2 oiled baking sheets, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
32. Herb Snack Mix Make Salty-Sweet Snack Mix (No. 31), adding 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
33. Beer-Cheese Dip Pulse 1/2 pound cubed extra-sharp white cheddar in a food processor until finely chopped. Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, a pinch each of salt and sugar, and 1/2 cup pilsner beer; process until smooth.
34. Harvest Snack Mix Toss 8 cups popcorn, 1 cup each pumpkin seeds and pecans, 1/2 stick melted butter, and 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt. Bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes; cool. Toss with 1 cup each dried cranberries, dried apples and chocolate-covered raisins.
35. Tex-Mex Shrimp Cocktail Mix 3/4 cup ketchup, two 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, and 2 tablespoons each lime juice, horseradish and chopped cilantro. Serve with chilled cooked shrimp.
36. Creole Shrimp Cocktail Mix 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup horseradish, 2 tablespoons each Creole mustard and chopped capers, and 1 teaspoon caper brine from the jar. Serve with chilled cooked shrimp.
37. Beef Sliders Form 1 pound ground beef into 12 patties, 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle a skillet with kosher salt; cook the patties over high heat, 4 minutes per side. Put on mini buns.
38. Cheeseburger Sliders Make Beef Sliders (No. 37); melt a slice of cheddar cheese on each patty.
39. Onion Sliders Brown 1 sliced onion with 1 tablespoon each butter and chili powder, and salt to taste in a skillet over high heat until tender. Serve on Beef Sliders (No. 37).
40. Korean Sliders Marinate 1 pound skirt steak in 1/2 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each grated ginger, mirin and sesame oil, and 4 each chopped garlic cloves and scallions, 2 hours. Sear in a hot buttered skillet, then thinly slice. Serve on 12 mini buns with mayonnaise and kimchi.
41. Breaded Pork Sliders Boil 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup each sake and Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons each sugar and mirin, and 1 tablespoon each minced garlic and ginger, 5 minutes. Pound 1/2 pound pork cutlets until thin. Coat in flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs (preferably panko); fry in hot oil. Slice and serve on 12 mini buns with the ketchup sauce.
42. Buffalo Chicken Sliders Warm 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken with 1/4 cup each sour cream and hot sauce. Serve on 12 mini buns with celery and blue cheese.
43. Bratwurst Sliders Brown sliced bratwurst in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Mix mustard and mayonnaise; spread on mini onion rolls. Fill with the bratwurst and some sauerkraut.
44. Breaded Veggie Sliders Make Breaded Pork Sliders (No. 41), replacing the pork with cremini mushroom caps and/or sliced Japanese eggplant. Add shredded cabbage and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
45. Jerk Chicken Sliders Slice boneless chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and marinate in jerk spice paste, 1 hour; cook in an oiled skillet. Toss diced pineapple with some mayonnaise and chopped jalapeno. Serve the chicken and pineapple slaw on mini buns.
46. Turkey Sliders Mix 1 pound ground turkey, 1/2 grated onion, 1 grated garlic clove, a 1-inch piece grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and salt, and pepper to taste. Form into 12 patties. Cook in an oiled skillet over medium heat, about 6 minutes per side. Serve on mini buns with lettuce, mayonnaise and cranberry sauce.
47. Shrimp Sliders Combine 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and whole-grain mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and minced parsley and hot sauce to taste. Season 1 pound butterflied shrimp with salt and cayenne. Dip in buttermilk, coat in cornmeal and fry in hot oil. Serve on mini seeded buns with lettuce, pickles and the mustard sauce.
48. Catfish Sliders Make Shrimp Sliders (No. 47), replacing the shrimp with 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into bite-size pieces.
49. Pulled Pork Sliders Toss 1 shredded carrot, 4 cups shredded cabbage, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon each sugar and salt. Fill 12 mini buns with prepared pulled pork, pickles and the slaw.
50. Mini Veggie Pockets Warm 12 mini pitas. Cut off the tops and fill with hummus, crumbled feta and chopped olives, cucumber, lettuce and tomato.